Here at the Greensburg, PA office of Dr. Del Kovacevic, we are capable of providing our patients with a variety of different tooth restoration treatments. That said, we’ve noticed that dental implants have proven to be the most popular treatment, edging out both removable dentures and dental bridges. Each of these treatments has its own set of advantages and disadvantages, and we recommend that you continue reading to find out what sets each apart.
Removable dentures are sets of dental crowns that are encased in a pink, gum-colored plastic. This piece sits on top of your gums, and takes the place of a full arch of missing teeth.
- Dentures can be provided quickly and affordably.
- We can typically provide patients with their dentures in as little as a few weeks.
- With dentures, our patients can eat, chew, and smile proudly once more.
- Dentures are fitted to your smile, so they look natural and feel comfortable
- This treatment cannot provide stimulation to your jawbone.
- Dentures can loosen, making it difficult to eat and speak properly.
- Your dentures will only last about ten years before they will need to be replaced.
A dental bridge is a series of dental crowns that have been fused together. The middle crown takes the place of your missing tooth, while the bordering crowns are used to cover the surrounding teeth, lending support to the entire structure.
- Bridges require no surgery, making them a much less invasive treatment.
- Bridges are a less expensive form of tooth restoration, and can be provided much quicker than other treatments.
- Should your bridge break, any portion of it can be replaced quickly and painlessly.
- With a bridge, you can chew, smile, and speak without any problems.
- In order for your bridge to fit your mouth, the support teeth will need to be irreversibly filed down, which can open them to infection and decay.
- Dental bridges can be difficult to keep clean, and you may need to purchase special cleaning tools.
- Your bridge will only last about five to ten years before it will need to be replaced.
Dental implants provide artificial tooth roots that are permanently fused to your jawbone and used to support a realistic-looking restoration.
- Since implants are fused to your jawbone, they function exactly like your natural tooth roots.
- Your implants will be just as comfortable as your natural teeth.
- Dental implants are simple to keep cleaning, needing nothing more than normal brushing and flossing.
- Implants are the only treatment for missing teeth that prevents jawbone deterioration.
- With proper care, your implants will last far longer than dentures or dental bridges can offer.
- Unfortunately, dental implants may not be completely covered by dental insurance, leaving you to cover the majority of the costs associated with them.
- Dental implants require surgery in order to be placed, which means your mouth will need time to heal following this placement.
- Implants require healthy oral structures in order to successfully integrate into your oral anatomy, which means you may require a supplemental procedure beforehand.
Learn More About Our Restorative Options
At our office, you can rest assured that we have the best restorative treatments for your needs, whether that be using dental implants, dental bridges, or a removable denture. If you would like to find out which treatment is best for you, then you will need to attend a no-obligation consultation with Dr. Del Kovacevic at our Greensburg, PA office. Don’t let your missing teeth plague you any longer, contact our office and schedule your consultation today.