Though traditional dentures are a fast and affordable restoration, they have a short lifespan and offer no protection for your oral health. Implant-supported dentures offer all the benefits of dental implants with none of the drawbacks of traditional dentures.
Restore Any Amount of Missing Teeth
Though traditional dentures have remained popular for a long time, they come with several drawbacks. Some of these include:
- Can slip out of place when you’re eating or speaking
- Chewing certain foods can be difficult
- Inconvenient to clean
- Only last five to eight years
- No stimulation for your jawbone, resulting in deterioration
Thanks to advances in dental technology, we now have the ability to anchor a partial or complete denture to your jaw using multiple dental implants. Implant-supported dentures eliminate all of the issues with traditional dentures, offering the ideal restorative option for patients missing more than one tooth.
The Process for Implant-Supported Dentures
Once Dr. Kovacevic determines you’re ready, he’ll place four to six dental implants directly in your jaw, depending on your needs. You’ll be under general anesthesia during the procedure, so you’ll be peacefully resting and won’t feel a thing.
After your surgery, Dr. Kovacevic will attach temporary dentures while your mouth heals. It takes a few months for the implants to integrate with your jawbone, a process known as osseointegration. It’s this unique process that allows your implant to look and function like a natural tooth.
After your mouth is fully healed, you can return to our office where Dr. Kovacevic will attach your permanent, customized dentures. All of our dentures are designed to fit comfortably over your gums and match the appearance of your natural teeth.
Full Arch Replacement with BruxZir® Zirconia
If you’re missing all of your teeth in one or both arches, we’re proud to feature BruxZir Zirconia Full Arch Restorations at our practice. Since they’re made from zirconia instead of acrylic, these dentures are far stronger and more natural-looking than traditional dentures.
There are several key benefits of restoring your smile with BruxZir Zirconia. Some of these include:
- More Natural Appearance — BruxZir restorations display translucency and color similar to your natural teeth, resulting in a stunning smile that can’t be matched by acrylic dentures.
- Resistant to Corrosion — The material used for BruxZir dentures is resistant to corrosion and rust, ensuring your new smile will stay beautiful for years to come.
- No Chipping — BruxZir dentures are so strong that they’re completely immune to chipping, so you can eat all your favorite foods without concern.
- Long-Lasting Results — Unlike traditional dentures, BruxZir dentures are designed to last a lifetime with proper care. All you need to do is maintain a healthy oral care routine and visit Dr. Kovacevic for regular check-ups.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the care instructions for implant-supported dentures?
- Take extra care when brushing around the surgical site
- Stick to a soft diet until the area is fully healed
- Avoid using straws and spitting
- Take over-the-counter pain relievers as prescribed
- Use a cold compress to help with pain and swelling
Once the surgical site is fully healed, implant-supported dentures are easy to care for. You brush and floss them like your natural teeth, but be sure to use a soft-bristled toothbrush. Visit our office every six months for checkups and professional cleanings to help ensure the longevity of your new smile.
Will I have to remove my implant-supported dentures for cleaning?
In addition to following a regular oral hygiene routine, you’ll want to see Dr. Kovacevic for biannual checkups and professional cleanings. During this time Dr. Kovacevic will remove your dentures for an examination and a deeper cleaning.
Are there any foods I should avoid with implant-supported dentures?
You may also want to avoid eating seeds and nuts because these types of food can slip in under your denture and cause irritation to your gums.
Who are the best candidates for implant-supported dentures?
During the consultation, Dr. Kovacevic will examine your oral health and provide a customized treatment plan. If you’re ineligible for implant-supported dentures straight away, Dr. Kovacevic may be able to provide solutions to help solve your dental problems so you can enjoy the benefits of a complete smile.
Visit Dr. Kovacevic for Implant-Supported Dentures
If you’re missing multiple teeth, or all of your teeth, then implant-supported dentures are likely the best treatment for you. No matter the state of your dental health, you can rest assured that Dr. Kovacevic will find the ideal solution for your smile.
Contact our practice in Greensburg today to schedule your initial consultation — it’s the first step on your journey to a new smile.