General Dentistry Treatments
Protect Your Oral Health with Dr. Kovacevic
Many people underestimate the importance of routine dental checkups. Even if there aren’t any discernible issues with your teeth, it’s still crucial to visit your dentist at least twice a year. This allows them to identify any problems and provide the appropriate treatment before they become more severe.
Learn what to expect when you visit Dr. Kovacevic for a dental checkup.
Cleanings & Examinations
The foundation for preventing tooth decay and gum disease is visiting Dr. Kovacevic for professional cleanings. During these cleanings, one of our experienced hygienists will:
- Remove plaque from your teeth — When too much bacteria builds up in your mouth, it leaves sticky deposits on your teeth called plaque. Our hygienist will rid your mouth of plaque to protect you from tooth decay and gum disease.
- Remove tartar above the gum line — If plaque isn’t removed quickly, it hardens into tartar and solidifies on the surface of your teeth. We’ll use our specialized tools to eliminate any tartar in your mouth.
- Remove stains from your teeth — Once we’ve rid your mouth of plaque and tartar, we’ll brush, floss, and polish your teeth for a thorough cleaning. When you visit our practice for a dental checkup, you’ll leave with a sparkling smile.
After one of our hygienists has cleaned your teeth, Dr. Kovacevic will perform a comprehensive examination. A dental examination ar our practice typically consists of:
- X-rays — Dr. Kovacevic will evaluate your x-rays to identify any cysts, tumors, and other issues not easily detected with the naked eye. We use digital x-rays to reduce radiation exposure and ensure your safety.
- Tooth and Gum Inspection — To check for cavities or other signs of tooth decay, Dr. Kovacevic will closely examine your teeth. He’ll also check your gum tissues for any indication of periodontal disease.
- Oral Cancer Screening — Perhaps the most important part of the dental exam is an oral cancer screening. By getting checked every six months, you can ensure the disease never has much time to develop and improve your odds of catching it in an early stage.
- Assessment of Restorations — If you have any type of tooth restoration (crowns, fillings, dental implants, etc.), Dr. Kovacevic will inspect it closely to ensure there aren’t any issues that could threaten its success.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to visit a dentist every six months?
If you come into our office for your regular biannual checkups and cleanings, we can make sure your teeth are clean and prevent issues from becoming problematic.
Are there any special instructions I need to follow after seeing my dentist?
What causes oral cancer?
- Smoking cigarettes
- Smokeless tobacco use
- Excessive sun exposure to your lips
- Human papillomavirus (HPV)
- Family history of cancer
- Excessive alcohol consumption
If caught early on in the disease process, oral cancer can be treated. That’s why regular checkups with Dr. Kovacevic are vital to your oral health. It’s always best to catch any issues before they become problematic or cause irreversible damage.
How does a dentist screen for oral cancer?
Visit Dr. Kovacevic for Dental Checkups
Visiting your dentist shouldn’t be seen as a chore, but as a valuable part of maintaining your health. By scheduling checkups at our practice just twice a year, you can enjoy the benefits of a healthy and beautiful smile for life.
With over 30 years of experience, you can trust Dr. Kovacevic to take care of your smile. Call our practice at (724) 836-2433 to schedule your consultation today.